11 November 2011

Busy busy

It occurred to me yesterday that now that I'm a student again I qualify for discounts at the Apple Store again.  I'm not entirely sure why this didn't occur to me sooner, where is my Chinese blood? (oh, right, it's screaming at me that I don't need a new computer.  Right.  Whatever.)

Anyway, remembering to write more often is all very well and good, but it really only works if I actually write when I remember instead of pushing it off as usual lol.  Well, regardless, here I am again, pushing something else off, what else is new? :D It's been a relatively busy couple of weeks since I last wrote; the day after October snowlololz Heather and I drove up to visit msong0210, which we'd been meaning to do the day before but for the unexpected snow.  A fun weekend trip was slightly marred by an extremely annoying and somehow very persistent stomachache (SOMEONE POISONED ME OBVS), but we did get to see a Halloween parade, including a couple of local high school bands playing Thriller, children dressed up as bunches of grapes, and dogs dressed up as chickens and sharks :D I also picked up a little stuffed horse at a rest stop for my cousin:


I dunno what she'll end up naming him but I'm calling him Squint for obvious reasons (ignore the unicorn butt in the background lol).  While we were waiting for the parade we walked up and down the street a bit looking for coffee shops and saw quite a few, including Brew Ha Ha, Central Perk (the one we were looking for), and Brewed Awakenings (the one that we actually ended up going to).  Towards the end of the day msong lost her phone, but we later found it hiding on the floor under her bed so at least we had a happy ending even if we got more exercise than we ever would've cared for backtracking our steps looking for it :D

The day after that was Halloween, which I celebrated by watching the Invader Zim Halloween special after I got off of candy duty (which I got drafted into and stuck with until like about 8:30, which was when the battery on my DS ran out and I got bored).  There was this one group where I almost didn't give one of their guys any candy because I didn't see him standing there LOL, but I got him eventually...other than that it was pretty uneventful, we only got like three or four groups of kids, maybe five at the most so I had plenty of time to finish off Plants vs. Zombies on my DS, only the battery ran out TWO LEVELS BEFORE THE END WTF.  So THEN I got the genius idea to plug in the DS and play it while watching Zim, and watching TV while playing DS = lolz.  So I didn't end up defeating PvZ until AFTER I watched Zim and I actually had to restart Zim because I'd missed quite a bit while trying to keep my lawn safe, but the point is I eventually did it.  This makes, what, the fourth or fifth time (probably fourth) that I've beaten the game on any platform, NOT THAT I'M COUNTING...then last Sunday Yugi came over and we made an iHop run and went shopping, and I got some new earrings and a bracelet; we got 10 things between the two of us, so we were able to take advantage of the 5 things for $10 deal Icing was running at the time (even though we originally meant to get only 5 LOL we are obviously failed Chinese):


They had the cutest golden skull earrings on discount as part of the 5/$10 deal, but they didn't say if they were hypoallergenic or not so I didn't buy them :( Yugi, meanwhile, got THESE:


We found them at the leather store of all places, I just happened to see them sitting there in the doorway and the guy told us they were the last ones so of course she had to buy them :D They're pretty tiny (one half-sized backpack and one suitcase), so I warned her they were really just meant as an overnight case, but of course what kind of a friend would I be if I didn't also make her get it :DDDDD She dragged them around like half of the mall after that and got a LOT of compliments and covetous looks, it was hilarious, especially when she was carrying them bridal style up the stairs into the parking lot :D While we were talking the subject of jobs somehow came up (I wonder why), and she said she'd heard that if you plump up your usajobs resume with keywords from the job descriptions you're somewhat more likely to get chosen; I hadn't heard this before, but it sounded worth a shot and anyway it's not as if I have anything to lose.  Then we came back home where I naturally got her sucked into multiplayer Critter Crunch, which resulted in this:


This disturbing screenshot is a product of a paused game and not any (substantial) critter abuse :D Yugi and I laughed so hard when we saw that, and of course I had to take a picture because clearly I don't already look disturbed enough.  It was too bad she had to go home after she'd gotten hooked and I'd gotten rehooked, but I guess it was a somewhat good thing cus otherwise we would've been playing that all night, work be damned.  The rest of the week was okay...uneventful, but okay.  I recently finished off a special project at work, for which I am grateful, because it was not fun :( well okay it wasn't bad, it was just very tedious but apparently I got good results because the people that I did it for seem happy, so I guess that's a good thing :D Yesterday I got up super early (7 A.M. IS QUITE EARLY ENOUGH FOR ME) and sharpened my elbows and got into work about half an hour ahead of schedule in order to register for classes online, which in retrospect might've been overkill because I got in quite easily and who the hell else is going to be taking these classes with me???  Since I got conditionally admitted I have to take a couple of basic prereqs before they'll consider me for full admission, so I probably shouldn't have worried as much as I did, but still better safe than sorry I suppose...though the extra half-hour of sleep would have been nice, but o well maybe next time :/ (and then watch as next time I oversleep and don't get any of the classes that I want LOL fml) But everything that I'd been spazzing about seemed to fall into place after I'd registered, as I then discovered that my student email was ready to go and everything after having badgered the OTS the day before with whining complaints along the lines of "how do I set it uuuuuuuuppppppppppp why isn't it workiiiiiinnnnnnngggggg :((((((((((((" (only to be then told that it wouldn't be activated until after I'd registered, AND NOW EVERYTHING COMES CLEAR LOL OVERKILL WAT IS THAT) And then when the day was done I couldn't remember which floor I'd parked on and ended up pressing the buttons for P2, P3, and P4 LOL...one of the guys I work for was in the elevator with me and he was laughing at me like I was insane, it was the day before the weekend okay I have an excuse ><;;;

Continuing with the grand school-themed tradition of this week at large, today I celebrated Veteran's Day by driving an hour to get my student ID and then getting lost in a city whose streets were clearly not designed with drivers in mind (no, actually, one-way streets are not the epitome of urban chic) while searching for the Law School, which was where my acceptance letter checklist thingy directed me and where like any reasonable human being who can read I assumed that I would be able to get my ID done.  Nope.  After finally locating the garage and practically breaking into the Law School ground floor (there were security officers lounging around outside by the door wtf???) I found out that I was in the wrong building and the one that I wanted was the next one over.  The guy who directed me very nicely told me which room it was in but after I'd laboriously made it to the bathroom this somehow slipped my mind and I ended up going back to the front desk (because for some reason I equated "security desk" with "front reception desk," gee I wonder how that could be), where the guy on duty then pointed me back exactly the way I had come and the actual photo place turned out to be right next door to the bathrooms and it was clearly labeled and everything LOLWATISTHISSHIT so apparently I just can't read anymore :((((((((((( speaking as someone who is about to start school again, this does not bode well.

But at least I got to visit the bookstore :D Their bookstore is actually a Barnes&Nobles, which is pretty awesome, even if they don't exactly make things easy to find for visiting noobs; I had to stop and ask for directions at the student union and then only got to the store because I remembered passing it by while I was driving endlessly around looking for the Law School lol :||||||||||||||||| but bookstores make everything better and while I didn't end up getting my textbooks I did get this:


lollllllllllllll now I just need to download Angry Birds onto my phone and life will be good...I'm just not sure if I really want it or not but we'll see.  My phone has been touchy about email recently (not consistently notifying me when I get a new one, wtf it's still new :/) but it's been doing well with the apps and that's really the main reason why I got it so whatever I can't complain!  And I had a really good nap just a couple of hours ago if I overlook the fact that I woke up thinking my toes were broken cus after I braced them at an angle against the armrest of my gamer's chair they felt like they would sever at the knuckles if I so much as bent them or walked on them so I was pretty much stuck on the bed for another five minutes, WHYYYYYYYY did I think that would be a good idea??? wtf me >__________< two more days still of weekend, I have to remember that.  Speaking of which I guess now I should go and actually write some more like I've been meaning to so that I can finish this current crackfic entry off after having been writing it off and on for the better part of the last 2.5 months or so instead of wasting time fiddling around with a blog that I hardly ever use (yes I take a break from writing by writing, what's your point?)  After I do that I'll be able to work on other projects that I've been meaning to do, and also back up and wipe my old college laptop so that it can become the family travel machine (before I take advantage of my restored Apple student discount and buy a fancy new computer that I probably don't need in full violation of my Chinese blood and a bundle of fancy software that I am going to need but could probably run perfectly fine on my current machine, BAH WHATEVER)...it's not that I don't have the motivation, I just don't really have the inspiration :/ I remember one of my writing profs once said that you have to treat writing like a full-time job, you can't just sit there and expect things to happen or books to write themselves but I DON'T SEE WHAT THAT HAS TO DO WITH ANYTHING :DDDDDD Now to try and muscle my way through my pervasive writer's block...if I get it done by the end of this weekend I can order that new computer that I in all likelihood don't need :D although my comp's been lagging a little tonight, and I'm a little afraid that if I try to shove a glut of disk-eating Adobe software down its throat it's going to up and explode just to spite me, since relatively speaking it's sort of middle-aged.  I really shouldn't have named it after one of my more spiteful characters, but what can you do :( I've been toying with the idea of waiting until Black Thursday/Friday/Cyber Monday to order, but Apple never has very good deals and I hate waiting so I don't think I will and also if it comes sometime within the next week I'll be able to play with it over Thanksgiving weekend, which for some reason I'm finding that idea really appealing right now :D

In other news, we finally upgraded the time and labor system at work and now it's all shiny and fancy and PRETTYYYYYYYYY :DDDDDDDD I've been getting a lot of people (non-timekeeping people, i.e. not other secretaries) telling me that it sucks but the timekeepers made out like bandits so I'm not going to complain :D from all the complaints I've been hearing it sounds like timekeepers are the only ones in the entire agency who benefitted from this (it's cut my biweekly workload in like half and I don't have to print shit out anymore or shake people down for timekeeping forms, IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME), but hopefully people will settle down and get used to it in time since we've only had it for about a month and that's not really enough time to learn about everything that it does...it definitely has its shortcomings, but for the time being I'll wait and see if there's a suggestions site, and in the meantime see where it takes us :D

Firefox crashes 2011: 97
Books read 2011: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment